Wilderness Bay Lodge and Resort Plans a May 15 Opening Date!
We plan to open our convenience store and cabins May 15 for this year’s season! Hours will be 7a-6p daily and we will be closed on Tuesdays. We will have to make some slight changes in our store, but nothing that will hinder your experience! Yes, we may have social distancing and may require masks, but we can deal with that can’t we?
Support your local businesses.
We have concerns for all small businesses in the US, especially in the Northwoods, who are trying to navigate through this pandemic. Our position was NOT to apply for stimulus loans as we know many of our local businesses are in much greater need. The reality for us is this has hit at a time when we are in our off-season. Hopefully, things will start back up soon and our guests and customers will be enjoying the resort again. From time to time, we try to order carry out from our local bars/restaurants and also shop and spend locally whenever possible. We hope you will consider the same. To keep these small businesses in our community, we need to support them!!
Sooo, what do resort owners do between seasons and during a pandemic? Late last year, we refinanced the property and acquired our new “Otter Lodge” which is the property adjacent to our Wild Wings Cabin. It’s a great four bedroom/two bathroom cabin with a large kitchen and sleeping capacity for up to 15ppl! Check out our website for pics!
At the end of the year, we asked Melissa and Bob McGuffin to join us as partners in Wilderness Bay Lodge and Resort. Most of you already know Melissa, as she worked at the resort all last year in the store! Mel and Bob bring a passion and drive for our business that truly compliment Laura and my own. Since they’ve joined our WB Family, we’ve been quite busy!!
Projects, projects, projects…
In late Fall, my folks came for a visit and my dad offered to assist with some projects. Knowing we wanted to renovate the space in the back of the main building into a rental, we had him help us get the plumbing in order. When Winter hit, Bob and I jumped on the project with full steam so we could have the rental of our Lakeside suite available for the Snowmobile Season. See our website for more pics and info on rentals this season!
Melissa brings an incredible knack for decorating so we’ve turned her loose on the cabins. She has updated furnishings in EVERY CABIN for this season! New LR chairs and side tables in Wild Wings, new LR furniture in the Bear, new sofa and loveseat in the Eagle, new LR furniture in the Deer and new ottoman in the Loon. Add to that her God given talent for adding extra décor!
Major and minor investments this year.
So, not to bore you with play by play details of other projects, here’s a little idea of the projects we did this off-season. Some are major and some are small, but they will all have a positive impact for our customers this year!
- Remodeled convenience store layout
- Ordered new gift shop apparel
- Remodeled Otter Lodge Bathroom from studs to brand new
- Added well pump expansion tank to Otter Lodge
- Deep cleaned all cabins from top to bottom
- Rewired Ice House
- Deep Cleaned Ice Machine and made repairs
- Added Internet to the Otter Lodge with hopes of expanding to the resort
- Purchased additional 24’ dock for the resort
- Renovated Lakeside Room
- Painted interior of Otter Lodge LR/kitchen and added décor
- Replaced well pump expansion tank for resort
- Installed new entry floor for Lakeside Room
- Replaced batteries in all smoke detectors
- Replaced kitchen faucet in Eagle cabin
- Remodeled bathroom in Owner’s residence
- Replaced hot water heater in Bear cabin
- Updated new DNR computer and trained
- Ordered new candy for Juls’ Sweet Shop!
- Replaced counter top in the store (wait until you see it!!)
- Cleaned up the grounds and discarded 30 years of docks/appliances/ furniture
- Reupholstered seats for Bennington Pontoon
- Added new picnic table for Lakeside Room
Projects still on the “to do list” for this year:
- New entry walkway for Eagle cabin
- Internet expansion for entire resort (in the works – no guarantees, but hopeful!)
- Adjustment of main pier
- Installing all docks for season
- Replacing carpet with vinyl on Voyager Fishing Pontoon
- Pouring a concrete walkway from main pier to store
- Replace counter surround in fish house
- Repair split rail fence around property
- Stone in front of the store
As you can see, we’ve been busy!!
Mel, Bob, Laura and I are committed to making improvements in our resort every year to make this a place you want to make your family’s new tradition! Thanks again for your continued support of our business! We value each and every customer! See you soon!
Wilderness Bay Lodge and Resort is a family oriented facility located in Watersmeet, Michigan on Thousand Island Lake within the Cisco chain of lakes. Enjoy snowmobiling and ice fishing in the winter months and game fishing for muskie, northern pike, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, crappie and bluegill in the spring, summer and fall months.
Our guests enjoy waterfront cabins, boat rentals, a candy shop and convenience store where you can purchase hunting and fishing licenses. We pride ourselves on being family oriented with the desire to a place that you will call your home away from home.
Owners Dan & Laura Hance and Melissa & Bob McGuffin are excited to be your hosts. Dan comes to this resort with thirty years of experience within the hospitality field and Laura will continue nursing with over twenty five years of knowledge and experience within the health care field. Mel brings over 20 years in sales and Bob continues to fly as a commercial pilot.
The owners want their love for people, their work ethic and combined talents to make Wilderness Bay their dream come true. We look forward to hearing from you!